Saturday, August 29, 2009

I ABSOLUTELY HATE VERIZON!!!

Mike and I decided to go with Verizon DSL internet for our new apartment. It wasn't what we really wanted because we had to sign a 1 year contract and we weren't for sure that we would like it or that it would even work with our house (our apartment building was built in the early 80s and we were worried about the phone wiring). But, Verizon was the cheapest company that we could find that actually had service in Bryan (comcast isn't in our area).

We finally got our internet set up a couple of days after we moved in. It worked great, ran pretty fast and everything was going great... for a day or two. A couple of days later, our internet went out. We did everything that they had told us to do to "reset" the modem including unplug it, turn it off for a minute, plug it directly in to the wall..... It started working again after a while. We thought things were ok.

The very next day it went out again. This time, we tried all of the same things to reset it and nothing worked. It was out ALL day (this was bad because I was trying to look for a job and didn't really know my way around town yet). I called Verizon and they said they would send someone to check it out on Monday. It was going to be a LONG weekend.

The next day, it started working again! What the heck? So Verizon called and left a message saying "we see your internet is working now, so if you have any other problems, let us know" type of thing. We thought the problem had been solved. 3 hours later, it goes out again and stays completely out. The next day, we still don't have internet and so verizon called and said they were coming out the next day to check it out, like they originally were going to.

Monday came and went. I called and they said that they had no record of us asking for a technician to come!! So we set up another time for them to come, Wed, and we told them not to cancel it, even if they could tell the internet was working. We waited around until the time they said they would come and both had to leave for work or errands. They never showed up that day either.

I called the next day and asked them about it. They said that a technician had come but they couldn't get a hold of us. That was a flat out lie! Mike and I always keep our phones on us and would have seen it if they called! So we set up ANOTHER time, that same day, where we had to sit around the house and wait for them to show up.

A technician FINALLY came, this was Thursday by the way. He checked all the connections inside and outside the house. The internet was working at the time and so he checked to see how fast our speed was. We were paying for a 1 M plan and our internet was only running at 300 k (1000 k make up a M for those of you (including me) that had NO idea) He told us that we lived just close enough to a verizon tower that we got internet but that it was not a good connection and that if we got a downgrade, the signal strength would be stronger and our internet would be faster. He told us to call verizon, ask for a downgrade, and they should be able to knock 5 bucks off our bill.

Mike called the next day to ask for the downgrade, because the internet was still going in and out. They told us that our problem was "still being worked on" and that there was nothing they could do on our plan at that time and that we should wait 24 to 48 hours for someone to call to set up a time for a technician to come. We didn't need ANOTHER technician to come to tell us that there was nothing he could do!?!

So, today, I called back today. I FINALLY got to talk to someone about downgrading the speed. At first, the guy told me that there was no way I could downgrade because we had the slowest speed. I told him that their own technician told me there was and that they better gave it to me. Then after I told him I knew the truth, he said he would do that for me. Then I asked him how much the price went down. He said absolutely none. Its the same. DOES THAT MAKE ANY LOGICAL SENSE TO HAVE TO PAY THE SAME AMOUNT FOR THE SLOWER SPEED AS FOR THE FASTER SPEED?!?! Of course it doesn't!! So he said he was "going to talk to his boss" and then came back to tell me that he couldn't change the price.

I was like "Thanks for screwing me over jerk, have a nice day!" and hung up.




I am NEVER going to have verizon EVER again.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Sorry. I have had Verizon and have had no problems...so therefore no customer service problems. HOWEVER....If Verizon were my boyfriend, I would never speak to him again if I had just been through what you have!

Carrie said...

Oh THat sucks! I am so sorry! I Hate hate having to deal with stuff like that! We had comcast like 3 years ago and it did that to us everyday at the same time either midnight or noon for a few hours! It was awful! Brian kept calling and complaining - like almost daily! They couldn't see what the problem was. Finally after many months of this, we canceled our account and we did not actually pay for a single month of service. You should see if they have a guarantee or something in their contract that says you should have service. Brian would always say I am paying for this many days of service, but I never have it when I need it. So they finally gave back all our money because we hadn't had it for an entire month the whole time we had it. But - that was Comcast, I don't know if Verizon has that good customer service.

Laura said...

That really stinks! I hate internet companies. We have Comcast and have problems with our internet just randomly going in and out. Usually only a few minutes, but it's still a pain.

My daughter, Kimberly, had Verizon when she lived at A&M, and she hated them! So you are not alone! Sorry you're having to deal with it though. And it's stupid that they wouldn't lower the price. It doesn't even make sense.

Jennifer said...

AAAAAAAAARGH!!! I can't even TELL you how pissed I am on your behalf! As if I didn't hate Aggieland enough. Get in there, make them cancel your contract and give you your money back, no cost to you. If they say no, ask for their boss. Just keep moving up the chain. Don't take no for an answer.

(The verification word is "dingenut." Sounds like your Verizon customer service!)

nlgal said...

Haha! I can't even imagine you doing something like that! I love it! I am sorry that you had to go through that though. I hate it when people take my money when they don't deserve it. You better believe I'd throw a fit.
Platinum had the internet when I was in Dallas and... yeah, it sucked there too. We had to email(/text) the addresses to the technicians, but we couldn't because the internet was out! We'd just text them from our cell phones during times like that... So it worked out. But it was frustrating.
P.S. I love you =)